Building Information Modeling / BIM
The benefits of using BIM applications are numerous, including enhanced interoperability which will improve integrated design and integrated project documents.
Sauer Group Inc has an in-house design drafting and coordination department which utilizes BIM as a tool to integrate mechanical and plumbing with the architectural trades in the coordination process. We believe the BIM process fosters improved coordination and input to the constructability on a project.
In a normal BIM process, the Construction Manager will provide three dimensional backgrounds to our BIM group for use in applying our mechanical and plumbing systems. One our three dimensional drawings are developed, Navisworks software is used to integrate the drawings and find clashes. We also provide drafting services to develop the structural 3D drawings as well.
Our experience and resources include:
- The use of Autocad 3D programming to develop sheet metal, piping and plumbing drawings in three dimensions.
- The use of Navisworks software to integrate the mechanical and plumbing with other trades.
- The use of iroom meeting formats to review potential clashes and resolve solutions.
- We have developed a library of engineered system components such as valves, pumps, strainers, flex connectors, etc. which are actual dimensions of the manufactured devices. When using the actual dimensions, the model will be more accurate.
- We have 18 CADD draftsman that are proficient in 3D system modeling.